WELCOME TO AQUA MEDICAL AQUA MEDICAL
Treating Gastrointestinal Disease with Disruptive,
Vapor-Based Endoscopic Ablation Therapy
Aqua Medical has developed a disruptive, vapor-based, endoscopic, ablation technology to treat gastrointestinal disease and prevent GI cancers
Problem: 1) Barrett’s esophagus is a condition that can lead to esophageal cancer and its treatment is dominated by one ablation technology with numerous shortcomings. The market is $100M today but has an over $4 B potential for the right product
2) Pancreatic cysts can progress to cancer and the only current effective option of treatment is open surgery. The market for an effective endoscopic therapy is over $6B
Solution: Aqua Medical’s endoscopic, vapor-based technology is a platform that will provide a faster, easier to use, more effective treatment for Barrett’s esophagus and will provide the only effective, non-surgical treatment for pancreatic cysts.
Aqua Medical’s unique ablation technology consists of high temperature water vapor created by a radio frequency generator & delivered endoscopically through proprietary catheters to the GI tract.
It is a true platform technology in that a single vapor generator system with two unique catheter types can deliver treatment for multiple diseases throughout the GI tract.
1) The Barrett’s esophagus market is dominated by one competitive technology, (Covidien/ Medtronic), radio frequency ablation, with no other significant players. The aqua platform is targeted to be simpler, faster, safer, and easier to use than the current competitive product.
2) For the pancreatic cyst market, Aqua will offer the first effective endoscopically based therapy to treat pancreatic cysts and potentially prevent the progression to pancreatic cancer as an alternative to surgery
We have a deeply experienced team in the GI domain. We have developed a Gen 1 ablation system. We have demonstrated proof of principle on animal tissue. Upcoming milestones are Gen 2 generator/ catheter system, software development & validation, preclinical bench testing, preclinical animal testing, system design freeze, 510K FDA submission, FDA approval
The Aqua IP portfolio is very strong with filings initiated since 2008. For USA we have 4 patents issued, & 7 pending. Internationally we have 1 issued in Europe, 1 issued & 1 allowed in China, & 7 foreign applications pending.
VIRENDER K. SHARMA, MD
VIRENDER K. SHARMA, MD
Chief Technology Officer
Board of Directors
Chairman of the Board
- CEO&Founder EndoChoice acquired by Boston Scientific,$225 Million
- Given Imaging President Americas,acquired by Covildien/Medtronic $860M
- Given Imaging Vice President Corporate Strategy
- Given Imaging Chief Marketing Officer
- CEO & Founder VortexMed Inc.
- Director positions Pentax Medical
- U.S.Navy Officer, Naval Intellligence, Operation Desert Storm
- B.S. in Finance, MBA
Board of Director
- CEO DFINE, acquired by Merit Medical ~$100M
- CEO BARRX, acquired by Covidien/ Medtronic,$400 Million
- CEO ACMI Circon, acquired by Gyrus/ Olympus$500 Million
- Group President & Executive VP, Boston Scientific
- VP Orthofix, VP Baxter,VP C.R. Bard
- Chairman of the Board Monteris Medical
- Board of Directors Cutera
- Board of Directors Barosense
WORLD RECOGNIZED SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARD
STEVE EDMUNDOWIZ, MD
- World renowned Therapeutic GI Endoscopist ,
- Medical Director, Digestive Health Center,
University of Colorado Hospital
RAMAN MUTHUSWAMY, MD
- World renowned Therapeutic GI Endoscopist,
- Director, Interventional Endoscopy and General GI Endoscopy,
- Clinical Professor of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
JOEL BRILL, MD
- Expert in coding and reimbursement methodologies for emerging medical devices and pharmaceuticals, healthcare business strategy, quality improvement, and
technologies for medical and care management.
- CMO Predictive Health,LLC.
LLOYD MENCINGER President / CEO
Blue Chip Companies
- Boston Scientific
- Global Vice President Strategy & Business Development $1 Billion Endosurgery Group
- Vice President Endosurgery Group Sales & Marketing Europe
- Director Strategic Initiatives Europe
- Edwards Lifesciences
- Business Development, Edwards Critical Care
- Baxter Healthcare
Early Stage Companies
- DFINE Inc., ~$100 Million exit Vice President International
- EndoStim Inc., Vice President Sales & Marketing
- Uptake Medical General Manager Europe
Healthcare Provider - Tenet Healthcare Corp.
- Senior Vice President Business Development & Marketing
- Board of Directors, Spiration Inc., acquired by Olympus
- BS Chemical Engineering, MBA
VIRENDER K. SHARMA, MD Founder/ CMO / Director
Founder, Entrepreneur, World Recognized GI Physician
- Board Certified in Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Past Professor of Medicine, Vice-Chair of GI Research, Mayo Clinic Arizona
- Involved with development of multiple innovative technologies in gastroenterology and endoscopy
- Over 300 peer-reviewed publications and presentations
- 32 Issued and >30 Pending Patents
- Founder / Director – Arizona Center for Digestive Health – Premier Gastroenterology and Endoscopy practice in Phoenix Metro
Early Stage Med Device Successes:
- EndoStim Inc. revolutionary neurostimulation technology for gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Raised $ 70M in venture funding. Successful European commercialization, US-FDA PMA trial ongoing.
- SynerZ Medical Inc. technology addressing obesity and diabetes. Fastest acquisitions in recent GI Med-Tech history, after successful animal trials.
SEAN McWEENEY Chief Technology Officer
- VP R&D Medtronic GI Solutions, Boston Scientific,
- VP R&D and Quality Engineering at Beacon Endoscopic Corp, (acquired by Medtronic 2014)
- Over 20 Global product family launches in the fields of GI Endoscopy, Cardiology, Electrophysiology, Urology generating >$1Bn Revenue.
- 15 Issued Patents and > 10 Patents Pending
- BSE degree
MIKE MADDEN Chief Operating Officer
- R&D Leadership roles at Boston Scientific, Medtronic, AVE
- Founder and led R&D at NinePoint Medical Inc.,
- R&D Leadership at Beacon Endoscopic, (acquired by Medtronic).
- EVP Product Development at Tal Medical Inc.
- Managed programs in endoscopy, urology, gynecology, cardiology. BSE, MSEE degrees
GREG WILSON Chief Financial Officer
- Consulting CFO to over 50 early stage companies
- Specialist in Life Sciences
- Successful exits:
- Cytomx, (CTMX), IPO
- BARRX acquired by Covidien/ Medtronic $400 M
- Afferent acquired by Merk, $1.25 B
- Xros acquired by Nortel $3.2 B
- Ablexis technologies licensed to top pharma companies
- MBA, CPA
CEO and Founder of Endochoice Inc. a GI med device co. which he started in his basement, built to 500 employees, led through and IPO, and was acquired by Boston Scientific in 2016 for $225M. He was President Americas at Given Imaging, launched the PillCam Video Capsule, went from pre-revenue to $200M sales, and acquired by Covidien/Medtronic for $860M. Previous executive positions with PENTAX Medical. U.S. Navy Officer, Naval Intelligence during Operation Desert Storm. BS Finance and MBA Duke.
Greg Barrett, Board Member, Chairman of Compensation Committee, (consultant)
CEO of DFINE Inc., was acquired by Merit Medical for ~$100M. CEO of BARRX Inc., a precursor product to Aqua Medical’s product to treat Barrett’s esophagus, acquired by Covidien/ Medtronic for $400M. CEO of ACMI Circon, acquired by Gyrus/ Olympus for $500M. Executive Vice President, Boston Scientific Corp., Group President Boston Scientific Corp., Vice President Global Sales & Marketing Orthofix. Vice President Global Sales & Marketing Baxter Bentley, Vice President Marketing C.R. Bard. Chairman of the Board of Monteris Medical. Board of Directors of Cutera.
HAZIM ANSARI Founder, Secretary
- CEO of Patent firm, Novel IP,
- Patent portfolio clients include: Xerox, Fresenius Medical Care, Spacelabs Medical, Rapiscan Systems, Endochoice, Glucon, Hythiam, Xcorporeal, Crowdgather, Quartics, EndoStim, Lipid Sciences, HDL Therapeutics, Applied Utility Systems, Osprey Biomedical, SynerZ Medical
- Successfully negotiated licensing deals with over 50 universities & U.S. government agencies
- Co-founded one of the largest patent royalty-generating revenue companies for the U.S. Navy.
- Loyola Law, Magna Cum Laude
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Stanford University
- Pioneer in the offshore intellectual property industry